Cosplaying can get pretty expensive, but here are three anime characters that shouldn’t cost you a lot of money! These might also be useful for those last minute conventions when you don’t have enough time to prepare for an elaborate cosplay.
1. Tsukimi from Princess Jellyfish
If you have medium or long black hair like me, you can tie your hair into braids. I found my grey sweater in my closet. I already had Clara, the jellyfish plush, but that’s optional. All I bought for this cosplay were the red glasses from the dollar store. It was about $1.25. Here’s a tip: Remove the lens from the glasses! I wish I did that when I took this photo because it wasn’t the right prescription and I couldn’t see clearly. Tsukimi wears grey sweatpants, but I feel that a lot of people own this already.
Total cost = $1.25
2. L Lawliet from Death Note
I bought a short black wig for $5. A wig requires a wig cap, but I already own a couple. If you are a guy or girl with short black hair, then you can skip the wig. I used black eyeliner I already had, and wore a white long sleeve shirt and jeans from my closet. The Death Note was a gift, but you can buy a plain black notebook from the dollar store and use a silver Sharpie to write the words on the cover. The only other thing I bought was the lollipop, which is an optional prop. The lollipop was around $3.
Total cost = $5 ($8 including lollipop prop)
3. Shizuo from Durarara!!
I bought the short yellow wig for around $4.90. I actually bought this one with L’s wig from the same seller but this price is rare. The rest of my wigs cost more. If you have naturally blonde hair that is short, then you can skip this step. I bought a black bow tie from Daiso for $2. I had the rest – the dress shirt, vest, pants, and shoes. Sunglasses would also be good.
Total cost = $6.90
Some words of advice:
– It boils down to how creative you are. There are many characters with simple cosplays, but it’s up to you to make it work.
– Don’t worry about the littlest details. To me, cosplaying is about having fun and there is always time to improve in the future.
– If you are on a budget, you may want to consider thrift stores. If you feel that you won’t wear the clothing item often but you need it for the cosplay, it’s definitely a cheaper alternative.
I hope this post was helpful. Have fun and good luck!