This is kind of a weird topic, but hear me out. I feel like we all have our own ways of enjoying anime.
I confess that I skip anime opening and ending songs… It’s not really good because that means I also skip the credits. I sometimes listen to the songs but I skip them most of the time. O_O
If a part of an episode is “boring” to me, I watch it at 1.25x, 1.5x, or 2x speed (it depends on how bored I am). When I am interested again, I set it back to the normal speed. I actually watch most YouTube videos (not including music) at 2x speed. This includes cooking videos, TedTalks, some vlogs, and more. I watch anime filler episodes at 2x speed. Since just about all the videos I watch have subtitles, watching at 2x speed is not an issue for me.
I watch anime in sub but that’s my personal preference. In my opinion, the whole sub vs. dub debate is so stupid.
I can’t really multitask while I watch anime. I need to give my full attention to whatever I’m watching.
I mostly watch shows by myself. I sometimes watch shows with my brother. Lately I’ve been watching The Untamed episodes over Discord voice chat with friends.
I know some people only watch shows once all the episodes are out. I’m fine with watching one episode every week. It gives me something to look forward to every week. Now that I’m staying home every day, I do binge watch shows. I couldn’t really afford to binge-watch when I was a student. Before the quarantine, I used to watch anime on public transit LOL.
Once an anime is finished, I almost never turn to the manga to continue the story. I just wait forever for season 2.
I feel like I’ve just exposed myself. Oh well. How do you watch anime?
You can read my 2018 Anime Wrap Up post here. These are the anime series, OVAs and movies I have completed so far in 2019. I am pretty quick to drop shows/put them on hold, so these ones are anime I liked a lot.
Seasonal Anime Series I’ve Completed in 2019
* Carole & Tuesday – This anime gave us so many beautiful songs. The latter part of the show was really interesting and the final episode was beautifully done.
* Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. (My Roommate is a Cat) – I am normally not a fan of Slice of Life anime, but this one is an exception. It deals with issues that are really important and portrays life in such a simple yet interesting way.
* Given – One of my top two Boys Love anime. I cried for days, the music was so beautiful, and I blogged about my reaction to a specific episode.
* Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen – Good, but not one of my favourites from the season.
* Kakegurui×× – Sucked, except for one particular episode. It failed to create feelings of fear or anxiety. The first season was better. Watch Kaiji instead.
* Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer) – I felt really inspired by Tanjirou’s resilience and dedication. I blogged about that here.
* Mob Psycho 100 II – I was really impressed by Season 2. I thought it was a lot better than the first season.
* Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 – This is probably my favourite season of Attack on Titan. The beginning episodes were terrifying.
* Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (Shield Hero) – I really enjoyed Shield Hero and enjoyed writing about my thoughts on each episode. You can find Part 1 here and Part 2 here.
* Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland) – Very interesting anime. I enjoyed it a lot.
* Dr. Stone – I thought this was pretty interesting overall. I can’t wait for Season 2.
Non-Seasonal Anime Series I’ve Completed in 2019
* B: The Beginning – I recommend this series. The latter episodes were brilliant and the ending song is amazing.
* Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte) – I really enjoyed this anime. The opening song by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is great.
* Mob Psycho 100 – I enjoyed this one more than I expected, especially near the end.
* Tokyo Ghoul √A – This is the second season of Tokyo Ghoul. Juuzou is my favourite character in Tokyo Ghoul, so I really enjoyed watching his interactions with Shinohara and watching his character growth. Beautiful music throughout.
* Zankyou no Terror – One of my top three anime. I think it’s highly underrated. After I completed this anime, it left a void for me for a while.
* Ore Monogatari!! – One of my favourite romance anime. If I had to describe the anime with one word: wholesome.
OVAs I’ve Completed in 2019
* Durarara!!x2 Shou: Watashi no Kokoro wa Nabe Moyou – This was really nice to watch. For context, I finished Durarara!! in 2017 so it brought back pleasant memories.
* Durarara!!x2 Ten: Onoroke Chakapoko – Special episode on Shinra and Celty. It’s not necessary to watch this, but it’s good if you are a Durarara!! fan.
* Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii: Youth – A look at what Koyanagi and Kabakura were like in high school. Koyanagi had short hair!
Anime Movies I’ve Completed in 2019
* Tokyo Godfathers – I watched this at the end-of-year event with Anime Club. I probably wouldn’t have watched this on my own time, but it’s a really good film. I’m glad I watched it.
In the near future, I will finish watching Babylon and My Hero Academia Season 4. Thanks for sticking with me this year! See you next year!