I’ve written about why I blog, so this time I’ll write about why I cosplay.
- It’s fun. I like fashion and clothes.
- It’s a way to show my love of anime.
- It’s cool to own things from anime. For example, I have Luffy’s straw hat from One Piece, Kaneki’s mask from Tokyo Ghoul, a No Face mask from Spirited Away, Mitsuha’s hair tie/bracelet from Your Name, and a lot more stuff. I don’t care much about expensive, brand name things but I like to own things from anime because I think it’s cool.
- Cosplay is a creative outlet.
- I get to look different anytime I want. For example, I’ve cosplayed as Nana Osaki from Nana (punk look) and I’ve cosplayed as several boy characters. I’ve cosplayed as child characters and as mother characters too. Even my day-to-day style changes all the time. I don’t like to be restricted to one style because I like to feel free and fluid.
- Cosplay has helped improve my self-confidence. I cosplay for myself. I am happy when people tell me that they like my cosplays, but my own self-perception is really important. When you see photos that you feel proud about, there is a feeling of self-satisfaction which ultimately boosts your self-esteem.
- I’ve met cool people through cosplay and it has also reaffirmed my friendships because it feels so good when you are supported by friends.
- It’s a way to spend time. I spend most of my free watching shows but cosplay is a break from watching something.
- It’s fun to cosplay at conventions.